[Oiio-dev] oiio or ocio
Ben De Luca
2011-08-01 11:38:59 UTC
Hi All,
I was looking for a way to convert from KodakLog dpx files to
Linear Exr as part of our pipeline, I was unsure if using the OIIO
iconvert tool (and OIIO in general) should work as there is a color
space transform. Should I be using tools from OCIO now?

-Ben de Luca
Jeremy Selan
2011-08-01 15:26:05 UTC
Ben,

Hello! We haven't yet done the integration of OpenImageIO and
OpenColorIO, so let me describe what's available now:

- In OIIO, you can use the ColorTransfer mechanism, and the transform
named 'KodakLog_to_linear', to do this conversion. On the plus side,
this code already works. On the downside, it will probably be going
away in the fall once OCIO is integrated.

- If you're up for installing OpenColorIO (and build it with OIIO
support), it comes with an application ocioconvert that will let you
do arbitrary corrections. The plus side of this is that OCIO is
fully customizable, so if you want to customize the color processing
you have full access. Also, if you are working with other
applications (such as nuke, mari, katana, etc) you can use OCIO to get
access to the same transforms internally. The downside is that you
have added complexity of dealing with another library / build process.

If you can wait to the fall (post siggraph), we'll likely be
integrating OCIO into OIIO (as an optional build dependency). The
intent is for oiiotool to replace ocio convert as a full featured
command-line utility.

- Jeremy
Ben De Luca
2011-08-01 16:33:09 UTC
Hi Jeremy,

I found some bugs whilst trying to convert log dpx to lin exr.
https://github.com/OpenImageIO/oiio/pull/132

Though I understand its probably going to go away. Are people
interested in bug fixes on that code?

-bd
Larry Gritz

lg at larrygritz.com